As many of you are aware, the LIRR Third Track Project is taking a greater toll on our village as construction activities accelerate. Not least among the many adverse impacts that New Hyde Park is enduring because of this regional project, is the diminishing parking resources to commuters at the railroad station.
The Village Board has taken the following actions to alleviate the situation.
- Vehicles with R stickers parking in voucher spots without a daily voucher will not be ticketed, until further notice
- Village employees will be on site at the South Street Parking lot in the morning to alert residents as to the availability of voucher parking spots
- Additional voucher parking spots have been created on Plaza Avenue, east of New Hyde Park Road
- Additional voucher parking spots have been created on Second Avenue, west of South 12th Street by changing parallel spots to head in parking
- The Village is in negotiation for the lease of additional land for commuter parking
- The Village is in negotiation for a land swap to use the new private parking lot on Second Avenue and South 12th Street
All other parking restrictions will remain in place. This especially applies to over time parking on residential streets near the railroad. Our neighbors living closest to the railroad are and will continue to bear the greatest burden from this mega-project. Please keep them in mind as we try to preserve some semblance of the suburban life style for them that we all cherish.
I will continue to keep you updated on developments resulting from the LIRR Third Track Project.
Lawrence J. Montreuil
Mayor, Village of New Hyde Park